Shape Up The Vote is a non-partisan campaign to turn out the vote by activating barbershops and salons as voter engagement hubs in their communities. In the 2020 election cycle, our program enabled 1,700 barbers and stylists to engage their clients around voting. We provide participating barbers and stylists with everything they need to run a non-partisan voter registration and turnout campaign, right from their shop in the flow of their day-to-day business.
Shape Up The Vote exists because voter turnout is highest when it's driven by local voices that people trust, like their barbers and stylists.
We are committed to hiring candidates who reflect the communities barbers and stylists serve. We strongly encourage people of color, women, and others who are traditionally underrepresented in political campaigns to apply for this position.
By leading Shape Up the Vote’s end-to-end Virginia strategy, you can empower these leaders to activate their communities to influence the 2021 Virginia gubernatorial election.
We are seeking a mission-driven, entrepreneurial individual looking to serve as our Virginia Campaign Director. In this role, you will be responsible for the end-to-end strategy and execution of our campaign in Virginia.
The Campaign Director is a hybrid role that will take on responsibilities within two segments of our organization: ‘strategic direction’ and ‘participant development’. The intent is that the role will give you ownership and accountability for Shape Up The Vote’s Virginia campaign, as well as the execution of that campaign up to and through election day.
- Operationalize the mission into a regional strategy for Virginia
- Develop and manage partnerships with national and regional organizations
- Produce well-written copy for print and online marketing materials
- Speak on behalf of the organization to press/elected officials/external partners
- Develop and manage relationships with participating barbers in the region
- Utilize CRM system to record data on barber relationships
- Communicate learnings from the field with the wider SUTV team to inform tactical pivots
- Track and maintain up-to-date content on voter registration and turnout laws in Virginia
- You have prior experience as an organizer through community organizing, political campaigns, social activism, or similar
- You are highly resourceful and self-directed, and can effectively manage multiple competing priorities in a given day, week or month
- You care deeply about issues of voter suppression and voter turnout and are dedicated to making an impact in the 2021 Virginia gubernatorial elections
This is a contract position starting ASAP through mid-November. Compensation will be $7,500/month.
To apply, email a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org