Lead Remote Organizer
About Shape Up The Vote
Shape Up The Vote (SUTV) is a non-partisan campaign to turn out the vote by activating barbershops and salons as voter engagement hubs in their communities. Over the 2020 and 2021 election cycles, our program enabled 2,000 barbers and stylists to engage their clients around voting. We provide participating barbers and stylists with everything they need to run a non-partisan voter registration and turnout campaign, right from their shop in the flow of their day-to-day business.
Shape Up The Vote exists because voter turnout is highest when it's driven by local voices that people trust, like their barbers and stylists.
We are committed to hiring candidates who reflect the communities barbers and stylists serve. We strongly encourage people of color, women, and others who are traditionally underrepresented in political campaigns to apply for this position.
By executing Shape Up the Vote’s end-to-end strategy, you can empower these leaders to activate their communities to influence the 2022 midterm elections.
About The Role
We are seeking a mission-driven, entrepreneurial individual looking to serve as our Lead Remote Organizer. In this role, you will be responsible for the execution of our campaigns in multiple battleground states, primarily recruiting barbers/stylists and maintaining relationships to support their participation through Election Day. This is a fully remote role.
We estimate that the Lead Remote Organizer's time will roughly be distributed as follows:
- 50% Conducting participant outreach via phone and SMS
- 25% Managing SUTV’s campaign fellow + volunteer programs
- 25% Campaign Coordination (submitting shipping requests, updating CRM, social media, etc)
Lead Remote Organizer Responsibilities
Participant outreach (50%)
- Utilize Shape Up The Vote’s CRM and outreach tools to recruit barber/stylist participants via phone calls and SMS.
- Support barber/stylist participants by fielding requests and offering updates/reminders on key election dates via phone calls, emails and SMS.
Managing SUTV’s campaign fellows + volunteer programs (25%)
- Recruit and manage campaign fellows to assist with participant outreach and social media efforts.
- Lead volunteer outreach efforts, including developing volunteer training materials and coordinating phone-bank efforts.
- Assisting in volunteer recruiting in conjunction with SUTV leadership.
Campaign Coordination (25%)
- Compile shipping requests and submit to SUTV’s mailing provider via csv files.
- Keep up-to-date records using our CRM system on barber/stylist relationships.
- Track and maintain up-to-date content on voter registration and turnout laws in key states.
- Update SUTV’s Instagram with pictures provided by participants in the field.
- Communicate learnings from the field with the wider SUTV team to inform tactical pivots.
- You have at least two cycles of experience organizing on a political campaign
- You are highly resourceful and self-directed, and can effectively manage multiple competing priorities in a given day, week or month
- You care deeply about issues of voter suppression and voter turnout and are dedicated to making an impact in the 2022 midterm elections
- Diverse applicants (particularly POC / Black womxn and allies) are highly encouraged to apply. If you are unsure if you meet the qualifications for this role but are still interested, applying is highly encouraged.
This is a part-time position (~25 hours/week) starting Sept 1 (or earlier!) through mid-November. Compensation will be $20/hour.
To apply, email a resume to email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed on a first-come first-served basis.